Search This Blog

How to Wind a Ball of Yarn | Cherry and Crochet Designs

 Winding a Ball of Wool

I find that my yarn stash can get out of hand easily, but winding a ball of yarn definitely makes it easier to neatly store my yarn. It also means that the yarn takes up less space as the yarn is used and still appears tidy, unlike winding with a machine or using the yarn as it comes from the shop. I also like how it looks when I pull out my yarn basket. 

Step 1
Tuck the end of the yarn between your middle and ring finger. Wind the yarn around your fingers several times like in the picture. I do about 50 wraps. 


Step 2
Take the yarn off your fingers and turn it on its side. Wind the yarn around the middle around 50 times again (this is only a short length of yarn from an old project, so I didn't do so many)


Step 3
Turn the small ball and squash the ends towards each other, then wind the yarn around this about 50 times again. 

Step 4
Wind the yarn around the ball around 10-40 times, then turn the ball and wind the yarn again. Repeat this until the yarn is used up. 
Step 5
You are finished! I always secure the end to prevent it getting tangled with other balls of yarn. This can be done with either a hair pin, like a bobby pin, or a hair clip, like those used for children. I asked around and someone had all of their little girl's hairclips that she didn't need. This combined with hair pins that I don't use, gives me plenty for all my yarn. 





Thank you for reading, please let me know if you have any suggestions for future posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment